Student Services Direct

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

What is so good about Australian education and training compared to other countries?

Australia is an internationally recognised source of high quality education as well as research excellence. Our universities, vocational and technical education colleges and schools are world-class. And Australia is a world leader in English language courses for international students.

Australian Government legislation requires quality assurance agencies and codes of conduct to be in place so that international students in Australia and their parents enjoy a level of service and financial protection that is unrivalled.

Multicultural Australia is a safe, friendly, sophisticated and harmonious society in which students can learn and travel in an English speaking country. Australia also offers excellent value for money and a high standard of living.

Go to why study in Australia for more information.

Are Australian qualifications recognised in my home country?

Australian qualifications are respected internationally when seeking employment or further study at leading international universities. Distinguishing Australia from many other countries is the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) which is a national system of learning pathways recognised throughout Australia and by other countries.

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Yes. To be granted a student visa you must complete a visa application form, lodge it with the evidence required, pay the application charge and satisfy the student visa requirements. You can be granted a student visa only if you intend to study a registered course on a full-time basis and comply with a number of visa conditions after you have entered Australia.

Go to immigration matters for more information.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. Scholarships available for international students however most are offered for postgraduate study in universities. The majority of international students in Australia are full-fee paying students and are not awarded scholarships.

Can I work in Australia while I study?

Yes. International students in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work up to 20 hours a week during course time and full-time during vacation periods.

Go to working in Australia for more information.

What are the entry requirements to study at Australian institutions?

Students must meet minimum academic requirements and need a sufficient level of English language proficiency for entry to Australian education and training institutions. Institutions will assess whether you meet the selection criteria set for your proposed course of study. They will look at the level and content of the study you have completed in Australia or your home country.

What if I don't meet the entry requirements?

If you do not meet the entry requirements for further study you can enrol in secondary school in Australia. If you do not meet undergraduate course entry requirements you may be able to enrol in Foundation Studies which prepare you for further study in Australia and reserve a provisional place in your proposed course. Bridging courses, such as a Master Qualifying program, are also offered. There are also many English language courses with starting dates throughout the year to prepare you for further study in Australia. It is recommended that you seek advice from the institution about meeting their entry requirements before applying for admission into your selected courses.

How are Australian institutions ranked?

Australian institutions are not officially ranked. However, there are some commercial publications available that compare achievements of universities and institutions in meeting certain criteria such as use of technology or student support services.

All of Australia's education and training institutions offer high quality, internationally relevant courses because Australian Government legislation requires them to be registered and meet quality assurance measures. Excellence in teaching, research, facilities and support services is found across Australia's diversified education and training system. Prospective students should focus on finding institutions that offer the course most suited to their particular needs and aspirations.

Can international students attend schools in Australia?

Yes. All government and non-government schools accept international students and must meet special requirements under Australian Government legislation.

Are there any special support services for international students?

Yes. Australia is an international leader in safeguards and support services for international students.

Information on support services for students including accommodation, transport and shopping can be found on the Student Services Direct website or you can also go to your university website.

What can I do in my spare time?

Institutions offer access to a vast range of extra curricula activities, both on campus and within the community. These activities include music, drama, sports and outdoor activities. Many different social activities are also organised. Campuses are centrally located for students to experience the sophistication and excitement of our cities and entertainment facilities. On regional campuses you can explore the lifestyle and experience the sense of community of our towns and regional centres. During semester breaks you can travel further afield to experience more of Australia's spectacular natural environment and great physical beauty.

Go to entertainment & leisure for more information on social activities in Australia or go to travel centre for more information about travel in Australia.

What is the weather like in Australia?

Australia is diverse in its geography and climate. Being in the southern hemisphere Australia's summer starts in December and winter in June. Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics where the average temperatures are in the mid 20 degrees Celsius. The southern areas are in a temperate zone.

Go to climate/map for more information.

Student Bargain Outlet